Saturday, March 10, 2007

San Fran/Modesto

Hi guys! I'm in Modesto at the moment. We just got back from having a BBQ for the homeless people in the community. It was a really great experience. My favorite memory was when we were praying at the end and this little girl, Antoinette, prayed and thanked God that there was people who came and played with her today. It was such a sweet and sincere prayer. Up until we left for the BBQ we were busy planiting a community garden on the church property. The vegetables they get from it will go out to the people on the streets to help feed them. It's such a great idea I think! San Francisco was pretty crazy. The base we stayed at is right in the heart of the ghetto. There's a ton of honmeless people that sleep on the street right in front of the building. The smells were sometimes overwhelming! One of the nights we were there a couple of us joined the prostitute ministry. We had a prayer walk and handed out hot chocolate to the prostitutes there. One of the first people we met was this homeless man who was asking for money to buy a small coffee. We didn't have any money so we gave him some of our hot chocolate. It was so sad because he only had one shoe. God really overtook for me and completley eliminated all fear I had going into this. My heart really breaks for these people and it hurts me to know all the stigmas that are attached to being homeless. The people i met are some of the nicest and politest people I have ever met. It was incredible!

1 comment:

Lanah said...

Lauren did I tell you that I'm going to Winnipeg to do the same thing we did in Vancouver??? I agree with you... Homeless people are the nicest. They don't judge you.
praying for you!